"Camp Pittman" (as my cousin Sarah remarked) is closed after a long summer and school has officially started! We went to "Meet the Teacher" last Tuesday and see the classroom. Anna was anxious to meet her since she's new to the school this year. We walked in and Anna politely and quietly shook Ms. Scott's hand. We found her desk and took a look at which students would be seated around her. Anna was simply 'taking it all in' as she does...quietly. Meanwhile, I am filling out a form for the teacher as Lauren is hugging all of Anna's friends she recognizes and they of course love it and are trying to pick Lauren up...she's grown up a bit...they really can't do that anymore! As I visit with Ms. Scott, I look over to see Lauren on one side of a group of desks and AK with a couple of friends on the other. Lauren then says, "You can't catch me!" and begins running around the room. Oh great! It's Anna's "meet the teacher" and her sister is entertaining the big kids in a game of chase! Lovely way to make a good impression! I quickly stick my arm out and reign Lauren in...whew! Lauren is the one I'm worried about when it comes to school. She is going to be the class clown...am I ready for this? or rather, will her teacher be? Oh, the 'spirited child'! That's a whole other post...coming soon.
All in all, Anna has enjoyed her first few days and has already commented that she thinks 2nd grade is so much more fun than 1st. Let's keep in mind, homework hasn't been sent home yet...that starts next week. We'll check in on that report later!
I can't believe Anna is in second grade! It brings back such fond memories for me as my favorite elementary year was 2nd Grade. My teacher was Mrs. Kuhn...a tall, athletic, red-head full of energy and warm fuzzies for her class. She called us "Kuhn's Kiddos"...she was so much fun. 2nd grade is a great year as you are over the hurdle of learning to put words together...making sense of numbers, and learning to write letters. Now it's time to perfect all of those skills and learn so much more in the process! Anna is a great reader and has been working on her math facts all summer. We're hoping she's going in to 2nd grade prepared and refreshed from summer. She continues to be a good student...(alot like her mommy). She's the quiet one, always doing as she's told (at least at school!)and usually "wins" her table the points for being quiet. I heard from a couple of mom's last year, that their child commented they wanted Anna at their table b/c she always helps get the points. Oh, the teacher's pet! As mommy knows, that can be a good thing, but sometimes not so much. I had my issues with this in 3rd grade, but that's a whole other story!!!
So for now, we're settling in for another year...hoping for the best. Pressing on.
3 comments:
Anna sounds just like you! And I look forward to reading the spirited Lauren post. I think Will is a lot like that---the boy does not rest! Kind like his mommy;) Love to you all. xoxo
love reading about Anna and school! :) She surely is like her mama: quiet, loyal, kind, good soul and of course, beautiful!! Looking fwd to reading more and definitely about the spirited one. my goodness how those #2s are definitely just that. :)
So how does Anna like 2nd grade so far? Sky is loving it and was so pleased to find that her desk is behind one best friend and in front of the other ~ mmmm ~ I think chit chatting during class might be a problem this year :)
Post a Comment