Thursday, June 19, 2008

Marco Island, Florida 2008


A success! The girls experienced their first airplane ride, first stay in a hotel, and first beach visit (aside from one day in Boliver 2 yrs ago) when we traveled to Marco Island last week. The girls were very excited about the trip. Other than traveling to Houston to stay with my family or traveling to the ranch, our little family has not been on a trip together! It was great!
To prepare the girls for the plane ride, I took them to the Frontiers of Flight Museum near Love Field to take a look at some planes. Of course, the one we were most interested in was the modern day Southwest plane on display...only from the cockpit thru 2nd row. We were able to walk in and take a look. As we approached the huge nose of the plane, I said, "Lauren, look. Look how big our airplane will be." She stopped in her tracks and wanted me to hold her. She said, "I not like airplane...too big...it scare me!" Sweet girl. We invested in a suitcase for the girls with their names on them AND WHEELS as we knew we did not want to haul our luggage plus theirs through the airport. They did a great job wheeling the luggage around. Such big girls. Luckily, we arrived at DFW to find no lines at security. As Chris and I began to throw luggage up on conveyer belt for security...taking off shoes, etc., the girls were looking a little confused...asking lots of questions as to why we had to do this. Some things are too hard to explain...Sweet Lauren had her stuffed bunny poking out of the front pocket of her luggage and as she saw her bag start moving toward the black security curtain and disappear, she became a little upset, saying, "OH no!!! My bunny! My bunny!" and then her shoes..."OH no!!! My shoes, my shoes!!" I couldn't help but laugh, she was so concerned she was never going to see her things again! I had to show her that it would come out the other side, I promise! Whew! Needless to say, she was thrilled to find her bunny and shoes on the other side. Sweet girl. The girls did great on the plane ride, other than Anna's ears hurting on landings. Lauren sat with Chris for take-off hugging his arm for dear life, not knowing what to expect. We start gaining speed and up we go...she then proclaims, "Daddy, I like it now...wow...Anna, look!" So cute.

More later, there is notice of "scheduled outage" in a couple of minutes...yikes.

No comments: