Lauren is always so complimentary and notices everything...to which Mrs. Jackson testified as she told me that Lauren is always complimenting her shoes, ring, etc. So sweet. Exciting news in 3rd grade is that Mrs. McMahan announced she is due February with a baby girl! Lots of excitement this year!
Now then, since it's been a few weeks I am just now beginning to be able to "laugh" about the horrific experience I had getting Lauren dressed in her uniform for the first day of school. She's my "sensitive" spirited child...we had purchased and tried on the uniform a few weeks before...she loved it, felt like a big girl...excited to be wearing what Anna does every day...great, done. My friends, it was a whole different ball game on the first day of school. I announce to Lauren it's time to get dressed for school (luckily, I drop her off at 11:20 ~ Afternoon Pre-K is from 11:30 - 3:10pm). We had dropped Anna off at 8am and had enjoyed a pleasant morning relaxing at home. She began to put the shirt on and immediately started taking it off complaining it was "itchy" at which point I grab the scissors to cut out the tag for her (a normal ritual for us on all clothing)...after about 30 min. of putting the shirt on/ripping it off...crying..."I don't want to go to school...I want to stay with you."..I had to pick her up and start heading for the door. Problem is she was only wearing her underwear. When she realized I was serious about carrying her out to the car in her underwear...with her complete uniform stuffed into my purse...and that we'd be arriving in carpool line with her in her underwear...she quickly told me she would get dressed...so round 2 begins. But, I quickly end round two by taking her to the car. All I could say (as I was remaining incredibly calm)..."I love you, I hear you...and I understand...but we are going to school now." I put her in the car and didn't even bother asking her to buckle as she was in such hysterics she would just undo the seat belt. So, I began driving (we live one mile from school) telling myself we live close and I will drive carefully as she is standing up screaming as I begin driving. (I think it freaked her out that I wasn't making her buckle) Half-way down the street, she told me she would get dressed so I stopped the car and helped her do so. Whew! I mean, really?? I had visions of having to home school Lauren...why would I choose a school for her which required a uniform and tennis shoes (as she wears flip flops 365 days/year)? What was I thinking? Thankfully, every day was better...and not nearly as horrific. The only issue then seemed to be her shoes...wanting to put them on in carpool line rather than at home upon leaving...needless to say, I'm exhausted from trying to be one step ahead of her...cheerfully talking about other things to distract...keeping her mind thinking and focused on other things as I get her dressed...making it a "game" to get out to the car and forget she's wearing a uniform! Let's just say that during the first couple weeks of school...I was pouring my vodka/cranberry at 4:59pm...anything to take the edge off!!!!
I'm happy to report that Lauren thoroughly enjoys every minute of school and is excited about going every day! It's fun to watch she and Anna talk about their day...Lauren teaches Anna the songs she learns in music and vice versa. They see each other occasionally in passing on campus...which thrills Lauren.
My head is still spinning since the start of school...dates to remember...volunteer here...send the check, send the check....send the check...there. Whew! Private school...comes with the territory. We couldn't be happier with Good Shepherd. More to come as the year unfolds.
No comments:
Post a Comment